North Yarmouth Fire Rescue
Residential Knox Box Loaner Program
North Yarmouth Fire Rescue offers a residential Knox Box program available to residents with special needs of any age. A Residential Knox Box is a rapid-entry system designed to provide secure emergency access to a home or property to those living alone or with a history of medical problems.
This project was made possible for the community due to the generous support from AARP and the Knox Company. North Yarmouth Fire Rescue will have 25 Residential Knox Box’s available.
About the Program
When a fire breaks out or there is a medical emergency, a Knox Box allows the Fire Department to gain immediate access to the home without forced entry damage or delay. The boxes are a vault-style metal box with a door hanger attached and are meant to be placed over the top of the resident’s front entry door. Inside the box, a key to the residence is securely placed for access by emergency crews.
In order to be deemed eligible and loaned a Knox box from North Yarmouth Fire Rescue a person must:
- Reside within the boundaries of the town of North Yarmouth.
- Have an existing medical or physical condition (short-term or long-term) that could render them unable to open a locked entry door in the case of an emergency (i.e. individuals recuperating from a hospital stay or awaiting placement in an assisted living or skilled nursing facility).
- Fill out a Residential Loaner Knox Box application and follow the program rules.
- Knox Box Application Form
- Knox Box Agreement Form
- Sign the Knox Box loaner application and abide by the agreement
Keep in mind...
The Knox Box will remain the property North Yarmouth Fire Rescue and is only loaned to residents for use at the address listed on the application.
The Knox Box shall be hung on the front door or securely attached next to the front door, and participants are to provide the Fire Department with a key to the door.
Should the homeowner ever change the door locks, it is the resident’s responsibility to notify the Fire Department and provide us with the new door key.
The loaner Knox Box shall be returned to North Yarmouth Fire Rescue when the original participant no longer resides at the property address or when they no longer have use for the box.
For information on obtaining a loaner Knox Box through North Yarmouth Fire Rescue or purchasing a residential Knox Box of your own, please call 207-829-3025