Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Question about North Yarmouth

What services will I find at the Town Office?
• Vehicle registration
• ATV, boat, and snowmobile registration
• Cemetery lot sales
• Certified copies of birth, death, and marriage records
• Dog licenses
• Genealogy research
• Inland Fisheries & Wildlife licenses
• Notary public
• Property taxes
• Voter registration
• Rescue billing
• PAYT (Pay As You Throw) trash bags

What is the Senior Property Tax Credit?
If you are age 70 or older, with an annual income of $40,000 or less and have lived in North Yarmouth for 10 years or more, you may qualify for the Senior Property Tax Credit. The application may be found online at or at the Town Office. Deadline is June 30th of each tax year.

What is the Homestead Tax Exemption?
Effective in the 2017-2018 tax cycle , the homestead exemption provides a reduction of $20,000 ($15,000 for 2016 and $10,000 for years prior to 2016) in the value of your home for property tax purposes. To qualify, you must be a permanent resident of Maine, the home must be your permanent residence, you must have owned a home in Maine for the twelve months prior to applying, and an application must be
filed on or before April 1st with the municipality where the property is located. The exemption applies to any residential property that is assessed as real property. You may obtain an application at the Town Office.

What is the Blind Property Tax Exemption?
An individual who is determined to be legally blind receives $4,000 as a property tax exemption.

What is the Veteran’s Property Tax Exemption?
A veteran who served during a recognized war period and is 62 years or older, is eligible for a $6,000 property tax exemption.

What is the Tree Growth Property Tax Exemption?
The Maine Tree Growth Tax Law provides for the valuation of land that has been classified as forest land on the basis of productivity value, rather than on just value. The law is based on Article IX, Section 8 of the Maine Constitution that permits such valuation of forest land for property tax purposes. Learn more at

When are property taxes due?
You will receive your tax bill in late August/early September. The quarterly payments are due on September 15th, December 15th, March 15th and June 15th. 

What is Excise Tax?
Excise tax is as a annual tax levied for the privilege of operating a motor vehicle or camper trailer that must be paid prior to registering your vehicle. Excise tax is paid at the local town office where the owner of the vehicle resides. The amount of tax is determined by two things: the age of the vehicle and the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). You must provide proof of insurance and mileage when registering your vehicle.

How do I register to vote?
You may register at the Town Office. All elections are held at the Wescustogo Hall & Community Center located on the corner of Memorial Highway (Rt. 9) and Parsonage Road. Prior to the election, absentee ballots are available at the Town Office. More information may be obtained at the Town Office.

Where do I get a drivers license?
The Bureau of Motor Vehicles issues drivers licenses. More information may be obtained at the Town Office or from

Does my dog need a license?
Yes, if your dog is older than 6 months. License your dog at the Town Office. Deadline is January 31st and a current rabies certificate must be provided. Neuter/Spay certificates must be presented for all new dog registrations.

When does the Select Board meet? Where?
Meetings are held in the Town Office Meeting Room (downstairs) on the first and third Tuesdays of each month, beginning at 7 pm. Public comment is welcome. The meetings are broadcast on Channel 1301 (Spectrum Cable). All meetings are available to watch at your convenience  on Town Hall Streams (live streaming video).

When is Town Meeting?
The annual Town Meeting, when the town passes a budget for the next fiscal year, is held in April. Always find current information in Reminders from Town Hall, our electronic newsletter. The school budget is a separate budget, and the final vote on it is in June. School budget hearings are held in the spring and are well publicized.

When is trash pick-up?
Rubbish and recycling pickup is curbside on Tuesday and Thursday, depending on where you live. Household garbage must be placed in PAYT orange bags. More information about recycling and trash disposal is available at the Town Office or at the Trash Talk button on the town website.

How do I dispose of items not accepted by roadside pickup?
Each spring the town sponsors Clean-up Day. Watch for notice of the date in Reminders from Town Hall and on the town website. In the off season residents may take their large items and hazardous 
waste to the Riverside Recycling Center located in Portland. For more information on items that  need to be taken to Clean-up Day, please contact the Town Office or refer to the Trash Talk button 
on the town website.

How do I dispose of organic waste?
Garbage to Garden partners with the Town of North Yarmouth to provide resi- dents with the option to bring their organic waste to a centralized drop-off loca- tion in the town. There is no fee to residents when dropping off your materials and the Compost Kiosk is located conveniently at the Fire Rescue Station across from the bottle redemption.

What online services are available through the website?
•   Register ATVs and snowmobiles
•   Register vehicles and trailers (Rapid Renewal)
•   Obtain burning permits
•   Renew/Obtain dog licenses
•   Access Maine Online Sportsman Electronic System (MOSES)
•   Pay property taxes

How do I know what is going on in North Yarmouth?
Print Resources:
•   Annual Town Report
•   Bulletin Board at Town Office
•   Postcards mailed to residents for specific events
•   Newsletters mailed to residents to inform about what’s going on in town
•   Town news in The Forecaster, (Thursday publication)
•   Select Board Agendas - The Notes publication.

Website Resources:
•   Annual Town Reports
•   Meeting agendas and minutes
•   Municipal announcements
•   Municipal Broadcasts
•   Information on local businesses - buy local!
•   Parks & Recreation information
•   Community Events Calendar
•   Reminders from Town Hall - subscribe Today!
•   GIS
Other Resources:
•   Public Access Cable Channel 1301 -meetings and local news

 find us on face bookfollow us on instagramfollow us on twitter